Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Did you know?

This is not a POTD but I like to pass on information about photography and photo editing as I find it or if I think it would be helpful to my friends. As I try and learn more about my camera, I also try and learn more about processing my pictures. I've learned that it is all part of photography and photoshop (in my case Elements) is a tool. Photoshop is basically a digital photographers dark room. In my search for knowledge of digital photography and finding what I don't and don't like...I found that i REALLY, REALLY like a vignette to finish of my pictures...especially portrait style pics. Vignetting is basically a darkened edge of the photo. Or in some cases, a lightened edge.
I'd been searching for an action I could use in PSE for this effect when lo and behold......wait for it......PSE has a vignette tool built right in! No kidding!
Go to Filter> Correct Camera Distortion. A window pops up and you'll notice some sliders on the right. The first one is Vignette. Move the slider to the left for darker and right for lighter. Hello! how easy is that?!
Here is an example of one of my favorite shots. Left is SOOC. Right is sharpened using the unsharp mask at 25/50/0; increased color saturation and then the vignette tool.
Hope this information may be useful to some of you! :)

3 comments:

beth said...

that's so cool. think i'm going to have to try that. thanks lady!

nicole said...

awesome stuff!
really, thanks so much for sharing it! will have to give this a try on an upcoming potd :)

Melissa said...

OMG...thanks for sharing. Need to try this soon!